Mighty Snakefist would like to give His Mostly Negative Psyker feedback.
- Concept of Psyker slowly descends in a madness if overused Chaos energies is AWESOME. Hallucinations, self-damaging effect – all of it.
- The brooding Chaos sky is strikingly good (if can be seen).
- Psyker model is disappointing and not to His Liking. Arguably, the ugliest model in the game, far below NeoCore standards. [Can we, per chance, see few alternatives and vote? As we did with VH1 Hunter?]
- Weapons with predefined spell (or worse, two) is not what Snakefist expected.
Where to start, He wonders? Being cheerful, sadistic and honest sociopath, Mighty Snakefist faces Mighty Dilemma! So, without any order…
- Spells - 18? Good, good, two digits if nothing. Now consider basic mage rule-of-thumb – that every player ever hated, or at least thought unworthy at least one third of spells in any game, this leaves 12, or like 3 2-handers for other classes. Is it enough to keep player interested for couple of years? Builds being able to be counted on fingers doesn’t say so…
- Level20 is where all spells and all improvements are available. This will make player eager to play 100 levels, for sure – no feeling of improvement is such a powerful motivator.
- Cooldowns are COOL! While there’s no problem to activate Greataxe skill every 3 seconds, spells (especially defensive or buffs) have tremendous problem with that, so it’s important that they last 20 sec and cooldown 40… Switch weapons, and please wait 80 seconds for this pitiful protection spell to become available. Effectively removes weapon-switch, which is especially important here, because of low number of spells (CURSE YOU, CONTROLLER). Only valid reason for having minute-long cooldown (and we have like 0 in Martyr so far), would be some kind of Armageddon spell. But we don’t have it either.
- Personally, Mighty Snakefist doesn’t like in particular any of implemented spells. As He was told by a certain, very well versed WH40K Lore expert back from VH days (datguy13, Megapull should remember as well as some other devs), Psykers have no limits in type of ‘spell’ (using that for gaming terminology) and that they can do everything imaginable. I don’t think those 18 are good choice from ‘everything imageable.
- Psyker weapons – also to limited, and taking valuable spell slots with predefined attacks.
- Spell enchantments – only 3; 1 will surely be used for improving damage on dps spells, and one or two for improving defensive/support ones, perhaps with cooldown. Leaves 1 or 2, which isn’t much of a customization. Some math:
- Relic Greataxe (without special skill) can have +20HP/hit, +20sup/h, +32% damage on skill 1 and -32% cooldown on skill 2.
- Improved attack spell can have enhanced damage (25%?), +10HP/hit and an effect
- Both can draw bonuses from skilltrees or gear. Relic axe can be improved further by fusion.
- Axe can be good or better, while spells remain at strict, unchangeable level (lower than Axe)
Mighty Snakefist doesn’t think Psykers are broken in general, but they need lots of work. More and better spells. Better customization with more choices (more than 3, that is), probably in branches (values could be reduced, spell could be spammed with low power or used as heavy hitter). Needing 2 full skilltrees JUST to be able to chose improvements player wants is silly. Having weapon with one (random or selected from group) spells, which is that weapon ‘signature spell’ and reduces Warp heat? That is VERY important, because if I can chose 6 spells (one native, signature – but still not any of those found on staves, not to mention swords) – makes build MINE! 3+replaced book with belt item because I need not die, and belts are best protection (spells are more or less pitiful – 40 dodge over range, really). It is world of difference (alas, Van Helsing, and it’s 8 skills available – as a caster, Mighty Snakefist would much rather play VH40k).
Mighty Snakefist doesn’t think devs can’t or don’t know how to make a good caster. There were 3 Vanhelsings, none suffering from terrible ideas for spells, each having several good escape mechanisms as it should be, in short about everything wrong here was right. And combination hunter/caster, range/caster and full caster were in there, done RIGHT.
Sword-Psyker needs to sacrifice the book for belt item. Swords are weaker in comparison with Crusader weapon. Some spells need to be survival one, due to less tankines. This Psyker resembles to melee Crusader.
Pistol-Psyker likely needs to sacrifice the book for belt item, due to weak survival spells. I don’t like this variant, and will say no more of it.
Pure Psyker didn’t sacrifice book, and it’s very fragile. Needs to kite [spits!], which is the most disgusting thing to do in aRPG. Sure, some is needed, but I honestly can’t remember the game where my mage kited so much. Perhaps it’s the number of ranged opponents, projectile speed, slow cast… Anything, something is wrong. Also needs better protection spells.
Spells have the same range as pistols/rifles, Psyker is noticed immediately and there… No nice high-damage reduction spell which would allow enter/attack/retreat. No stealth spell to execute attack/retreat. No clones. No decoys. But there’s OP 100% reduction for 60 seconds, each hit reduces duration for 5 sec! It’s… 12 hits… but if Psyker survives, he always can wait 80 seconds and repeat…
Unlike that, Assassin comes with built-in powerful dodge and great speed... Crusader doesn’t care for 12 hits…
There. Cruel but honest. I waited a year for Psyker and this is one of the worst mages I’ve ever played. Or hybrid. Hopefully, someone will take this serious. Especially since this is the first major flaw Snakefist can’t ignore.
updated for typos
Your Thoughts? Please login to place your opinion. Not a member yet? Register here and now!