Just a discussion starter how the weapon ballance should look like in the game.
The varietyof weapons is already awesome :) Great work :)
I saw that the in-game survey had also a question about the weapons. And to be honest, I think the game is currently favoring the long range weapons (I know, it's early stage, but I'm sure the devs and game designer can use always a little bit of extra pool for ideas ) :)
(In VanHelsing, this is pretty good ballanced, so I'm sure, the guys will manage this here as well.)
1. Meele weapons:
So basically the basic gameplay features mostly separated groups of enemies where you have always a few meter or few secounds time to regenerate or take a breath until you get to the next group. And the mobs are mostly ranged enemies.
Therefor the ranged weapons which have a precision attack mode and also an area denial mode (Bolter, Heavy bolter, Plasma Cannon, GarvGun) are way more effective than meele weapons and/or short range guns like shotguns.
a.) Because most meele weapons are less effective agains bigger crowds.
- Some meele weapons already have an AoE attack. These could be buffed in the terms of area affected
- Add a weapon throw like ability to some 1 handed meele weapon.
- Add some kind of active ability to cast on self, like: Use psyhic power to rotate the weapon around you like a wirlwind to hit every enemy surrounding you (But I don't know how it would fit in the WH40K lore and universe)
b.) You have to get close to the enemies and in the mean time you get shot.
- Maybe add some kind of ability to meele weapons to get instantly close to the enemie. (Leap/Dash/warp to the enemy and strike)
- Or add some kind of deffensive ability for the time you get in meele range:
- 2Handed Hammers: raise the hammer in fron of you to generate an energy shield which absorbs shots
- Some kind of channeler parry ability
- Shields: Add a feature to some shields to hold it in front of you and generate a big shield bubble or just mitigate the attacks on a bigger level while channeling a skill.
2. Energy based weapons:
Some of them are pretty cool like the Gravigun and Lascannon
But there are weapons like the Melta gun which is overheating after 4 shots and has a very long recharging time.
There is no benefit for using it currently.
3. Close quarter guns/shotgun:
Deals far less damage to a close enemy than the bolter but has less range.
The spread of the bolter covers also the spread of the shotgun, so basically the bolter is a better shotgun.
- Add a bigger damage on lefcklick on close range
- Add 1 ability to shoot a concentrated shell which is high damage but minimal spread.
- It would be a perfect elite enemy killer if it would have also a focusing ability to shoot down a limb or head of an enemy. :)
What do you guys think?