Well after purging like a madman and getting 2nd place on the short global even only using a 2handed melee Thunder Hammer crusader i have some toughts on how to improve the combat so ill get to the point:
THINGS TO IMPROVE
- both the movement skill from greataxe and thunder hammer freeze for a couple sec mid air sometimes (only seems to hapen when you use it on really close range), this completly kills pace and actually almost got me killed a few times
- after you use the 2nd skill on the thunderhammer and you kill for example on the 1st hit the caracter gets "stuck" for a brief moment, try to completly get rid of that time after using the skill, also consider making this skill have some sort of close target aquiring for example if you kill with the first hit it automaticly hits another target in range until you reach the 3 hits.
-Animation time on the thunder hammer attacks is a bit to big compared to the other weapons try to improve it but not much (after all its a big heavy hammer) more on this subject below.
- NOW THIS IS A BIG ONE - Bloody Execute
now dear Neocore i know its a good ideia and all but the small cinematic just DOES NOT WORK on a game like this, sometimes when i saw a walker i literally just felt like kiling myself, it totally kills the flow of combat and its just a headache, i know youve spent time doing the hole execute tree skills perks etc, ( somebody actually making the animations) but plz just GET RID OF IT.
Maybe try to replace it with some form off overkill dmg tree, where you would have a percentage off gaining the bonus from the overkill dmg into heal, extra dmg, extra mov speed etc, i think that would be nice to make some builds.
- The hold F thing just is also a pace and flow combat feel killer, i found my self not completing turret missions just because of that, just replace it with a single press key ez fix.
- Assault jump from the assault armor is actually a good skill, with my extensive grind i actually find really good use for it on mid combat situations, (for guys complaining trust me, get some grind and youll get what im saying) BUT , you need to reduce or maybe just get rid of that annoying delay after you press the button and the skill actually activating, also on landing there is another long delay to use another skill, if you fix this trust me all of the suden every one will be wanting to jump around and not thinking of it has a useless skill. ( and plz increase the AOE on it substancially, blowing more stuff while jumping around just gives a special feel).
Now on the other super annoying thing about the "Jetpack" is the fact its a bit hard to jump over cliffs sometimes, with some practice you improve on this but those dam ice map cliffs just gave headaches, try finding a way to make this much ez and plz make those dam ice map cliffs being able to jump over them.
- This one i know it will get beeter over time, but the map layout and moob placement needs more diversity, i got to the point where i knew eyes close what corner or moobs would come next, this actually got me into an AUTO cruise mode wich took away a lot of combat feel, FIX THIS, i know in time youll add more content but just make more map and moob layouts thats not difficult.
NOW SOME GOOD THINGS
- General combat feel and enjoyment is overall really good ( fix those things i said and trust me it will be almost Godlike)
- For all those people complaining about how slow the crusader is trust me, ive invested some time and toughts on the build and it gets A LOT FASTER, to the point where the only thing faster clearing and running betwen packs is the Psyker and his teleport ( dont get me started on this) THAT SAID, it really is slow at the early game and lvl's and that is what is driving people from playing melee, try to improve on this plz.
- Now about animation time mentioned earlier, welp there is the old cancel animation thing ( for people not knowing about this its using a skill on a specifc momment after using other skill that just nulls the animation time), personally Neocore DO NOT GET RID OFF IT, unlike most ARPG's where you find yourself pressing keys like a robot and not getting any difference , this is actually really good and enjoyable, when you get the feel of it you find yourself getting a personal satisfation getting all those pressing buttons on the right moment and it adds what is in my opinion and actual learning curve to the combat that its just not present on most ARPG's and i find it refreshing.
Well Neocore i think youve actually managed to make a really nice combat system that is enjoyable, ez to unexperienced players to get the hang of it but also with a good learning curve to the point were you can put the exact same caracter with 2 players and the most experienced one gets a lot more dps and clearing than the other, now get working fix these things ( Advice do this before console realese)
PS: Ive got some, what i think, good ideias about on how to improve combat diversity, new skill system etc but ill leave it another post.
PS 2 : DO NOT EVER NERF AOE of Tundering Leap