Regarding doodads in the game, destroying them accidentally or purposefully is very rewarding. Seeing large areas smashed to rubble during battles never gets tiring.
What i believe would increase the "Ah Ha" factor is the possibility of "randomness" added to the various crates, barrels, pipe sections, even columns.
Now of course with tens of thousands of players in game the % chance should be VERY rare for this maybe .001 or even less. Smashing the environment in a mission should not turn into a random Pinata crazed loot fest. The point of this is to add a small varied amount to the details for story telling in game.
I will give a short and by no means comprehensive list of items these could contain.
1. - Paints or coloring for armor.
2. - Schematics/Blueprints even rare ones the vendor would not have for blue/green/purple/relic. These would not have to be traditional in fact they could be completely silly and merely a unique aesthetic.
3. - Unique investigations/Lore and off track story lines/Backgrounds for families in various sectors/Political events or upheavals
4. - Particle effects for specific pieces of gear and or weapons. These could be just for aesthetics or have added effects or even be one time use items.
5. - Broken items lost to the ages - these could be either repaired through the regular crafting system or have a few layers added with some extra questing for components to attempt to get them working again. You could find servo skulls that have unique lines of dialogue etc.
6. - Heresy - Finding corrupted items that were marked for destruction at the hands of the inquisition but never made it to the intended location etc.
7. - Lost navigational charts and schematics for sectors that have not been opened yet or long thought lost. These would be of great value to the Adeptus Mechanicus.
I could go on but i am sure you have the idea. =)
Anyway keep up the great work Neocore! *2 thumbs up*
"Venerate the immortal Emperor"