The purpose of this thread is to raise a little concern and hopefully stimulate a little debate regarding the power level system and one if it's pitfalls. Let me start by stating a few facts
- Power levels within Tier 1 - Will contain loot of the same tables. This is fact.
- Tier's we have been told will include 10-20 power levels within various sub sectors
- We therefore will be grinding a new gear set to move from power level to power level
Obviously for anyone who has seen the power level video there are some clear strengths to this system in that players of the same Tier can easily play together as they all have comparable gear. Once the mission modifier is applied equally to everyone (by the host) everyone will have the same experience.
What I want to ask is what factors do you think the hosts can use to try and make this process more enjoyable? The slight amount of power creep or damage increase we will experience will be coming from skill and attribute points. Due to the power level system the next power level will not be giving you more damage, at least not via the gear. Thus far my thoughts are.
- Having some perks tied to sectors or power levels - a notable incentive for a player to want to hit that next planet and start building towards a new style of play. It would make sense to tie a new power level to a new perk because likely a different set of gear might be needed to optimise and build around a specific perk.
- Different missions - while it's not perhaps ideal, having a different mission type gradually introduced to us as we progress through the levels might keep it from becoming a little stale. It could also be argued to have all mission types be made available and randomised to repetition never becomes an issue, but I also like the idea of seeing a mission type in the next area that you haven't tried yet and look forward to.
- New skins or perhaps weapon blueprints - By knowing the next power level has a specific blueprint that you want to get your hands on.. It's something you might want to work for or aim to add into your collection.
- New maps - Obviously a new power level will be a new planet - Ergo changing the potential map. I respect that it's impossible to have 200 different map types of course. But having one planet use a specific shader varient of a map over another might still be enough to make it feel "new".
What I can conclude from the above though is that the system does worry me a little. I really respect how myself and my friends will be able to play together and how the power level will really make community interaction far easier. But i'm also hopeful there are some other ideas as to how this system can keep a player interested in what is essentially repeating the same thing 10-20 times.
Your Thoughts? Please login to place your opinion. Not a member yet? Register here and now!