I like the class and the idea of risk/reward with the warp heat but some parts of it don't feel right.
The risk is quite clear:
- in green, no risk
- in yellow, a risk to spawn a warp anomaly
- in red, a higher risk to spawn a warp anomaly AND self damage on each skill use
But the reward is unclear.
There are two rewards:
- positive warp anomalies
- passive bonuses
The positive anomaly has no explanation in game. There are only some hints to make understand they exist.
We don't known the chances to make them spawn, what they look like, what they do, how to use it...
It doesn't feel like a reward. We have to know they exist and, eventually, they are the risk of a risk: on a negative event, it can turn to be positive.
It should be the other way around : on a positive event, it can turn to be negative.
It's mostly a different way to present the same thing but it changes the mecanism a lot.
It's the ONLY reward of the warp heat for many psykers. It should be able to make players want to leave the green area even though there is a risk for a bad event.
I don't believe it achieves that the way it is now.
The passive bonuses are not for all psykers. We have to have it then choose to use it. Only one of the three starting psykers got one.
Then, the passive requires to have a high heat level to activate, either 75% or 100%, both in the red area.
We need two increases in risk to get one increase in reward. Not really appealing.
Something that would help would be to get a partial bonus at each increment of risk.
Example: instead of getting +20% damage at 100% warp heat, we could get +5% in yellow, +10% in red and +20% at 100% heat.
Partial bonus for partial risk instead of all or nothing to encourage to take at least some risk. Else, there is no point for the yellow area.
Moreover, there is what I believe is a bug in the risk application on a skill use.
Risk for each heat level is described in game as effect on skill use. When using a skill in green level, there should be nothing happening as per description of the system.
But, if the skill make us go from green to yellow, a warp anomaly can spawn.
Risk is not applied on skill use but after skill use, when warp heat is updated.
- Inferno and Scryer's Gaze often get stuck in environment
- Molten Beam fires in the cover a few seconds before starting to attack the ennemy
- Fiery form destroys cover
- Inferno damages are not displayed on tooltip
- Staves and Rod are melee weapons but there skills seem to be ranged, so we don't really know what skill trees and what tarot cards apply to them
- Psyker items can't be salvaged
- Psyker items often have "+x% damage to" with nothing after